Saturday, January 26, 2008

THE TREE OF LIFE

I am a tree that stands tall and strong
My branches are long and wide
My roots flow deeply from beneath the soil
Reaching out from side to side
At certain times of the year I began to sprout leaves
Different forms, shapes & colors
And then there are those times when my limbs are bare
Looking similar to all the others
Next door to me stood a tree very small
And I watched it grow as tall as me
It's branches stretched out, they grew big and bold
For everyone in the neighborhood to see
Here we were in our own little space
Standing out from within a crowd
Making a statement as to who we are
Our words were silent, but they were proud
As people pass by, they admired our beauty
Not realizing that we have a soul
That heat when it's hot, Drips when it's wet
And shivers the times it get cold
There is a big difference between you and me
I'm there for you both day and night
When you need someone to lean on, or a quiet place to sit
I will shield you from the morning light
Will you take a minute and think about
How proud I am of me
That Life does live within my roots
Even though to some, I'm just a tree.
Pauline P. Williams
Copyright 1982

No comments: