Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I ACKNOWLEDGE

As an African American Woman I acknowledge being an heir to slavery
It has taught me to respect and cherish freedom
I acknowledge the life of poverty
Because it allows me to greet prosperity with humbleness
I acknowledge the meaning of hate
Because it makes my love overwhelmingly enormous
I acknowledge what it means to be weak
Because in reality you have to be strong to survive
I acknowledge what it means to be homeless
Because it lets me appreciate the comfort of my shelter
I acknowledge what it means to have an education
Because it is the beginning of the foundation that will help take us through life
I acknowledge the signs of fear
Because it help me to extend comfort
I acknowledge the cries of the youth
Because I can reach out with compassion in my heart
I acknowledge the threat of Drugs and Diseases
It is destroying the core of our existence
I acknowledge the presence of bad
Because it lets me know that through good all things are possible
I acknowledge that there are changes to be made
And now that I can see some of them clearly
I shall let the changes begin,,,, In Me
Pauline P. Williams
Copyright 1982

No comments: